Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chapter 13: She Is...

“Your brother is cute,” I said to Jae Wook.

“Cuter than me?” Jae Wook pouted.

“Erm…” I contemplated. “Maybe.”

“Maybe?” he exclaimed.

“Of course you’re cuter,” I said, and he smiled smugly. “Otherwise I’d be dating your brother instead,” I added, and he frowned at me.

“Girls are so fickle these days,” he grumbled.

“Aigoo…” I teased and pinched him on the cheek.

[Jae Wook’s POV]

Music: Super Junior - You're My Endless Love

I was a little worried. I was worried that Sierra was going to turn around and leave as soon as she got off that bus. Instead, she walked the filthy streets with me, entered my humble apartment, and she even wants to have a meal with me and Jae Joong.

“Where’s your mother?” she asked.

“She’s out, somewhere,” I sighed.

“I see,” she replied, and sensing that I didn’t want to talk about my mother, she didn’t probe further.

“Nuna,” Jae Joong called from the kitchen. “Can you handle spicy food?”

“Not really,” she replied. “Mildly spicy is okay, though.”

“Arasoyo,” he said.

“Can you handle spicy?” she asked me, and I was definitely sensing a pun.

“Oh yeah…” I replied. “I can handle spicy.”

She laughed, covering her face as she did.

“Wae?” I asked her.

“I should’ve had my phone ready for that expression.”

“What expression?”

“That wolf-like expression,” she laughed.

“I do not have a wolf-like expression,” I said.

“Awooo…” Jae Joong howled as he walked out of the kitchen with a tray of side dishes.

“Shut up,” I said, and Sierra was rolling around on the floor, giggling.

“You shouldn’t eavesdrop,” I said to Jae Joong.

“I wasn’t. All I heard was the word ‘wolf’,” he grinned.

“Is this all?” Sierra asked as she studied the dishes that Jae Joong placed, one by one, on the table.

“More… coming soon,” he said, in a deep voice, and smiled.

“You’re amazing!” Sierra said. “I’ve never seen a guy cook like that.”

“Hey… I can do this too,” I protested.

“Then why aren’t you doing it?” she asked.

“I need to entertain you, so he’s doing the cooking on my behalf.”

“I don’t need entertaining. Why don’t you help your brother?”

“He’s never needed my help,” I said.

“Right,” Jae Joong said, sarcastically as he put down a pot of soup on the table mat.

“Miyuk-kuk!” Sierra exclaimed.

“You like seaweed soup?” Jae Joong asked.

“Yea,” she said.

“Then you and hyung are gonna have lots of babies someday,” he laughed.

“Yah…” I said, and smacked his butt half-heartedly.

“Mian… I shouldn’t embarrass you, hyung-su,” Jae Joong said trying not to laugh now.

“Not so soon,” she said. “You can keep calling me nuna for now.”

I lips twitched as I tried not to laugh with Jae Joong. He was really teasing her, but I actually felt happy seeing my brother get along with my girlfriend. Sierra’s being shy about the teasing made me feel that she was in a way more involved in this relationship than I’d expected.

“I like your apron,” Sierra said, admiring Jae Joong’s apron. “I’ve never seen a denim apron before.”

“I can make you one,” he grinned proudly.

“You made it?” she said, in awe.

“Yea. There aren’t that many manly aprons being sold, and if I had to wear one every day, I’d want to look macho,” he laughed.

“It’s really chic,” she said. “If I had one, I’d cook more often too.”

“Make her one, Jae Joong,” I laughed. “I want to taste some of her cooking.

“Okay,” he laughed. “As long as I’m invited too.”

“The day you deliver my apron, I’ll cook you guys a meal,” she said.

“Make sure it’s edible,” I said, and she made a face at me and started picking at the side dishes.

Jae Joong went all out tonight, knowing I had a guest to impress. He made egg rolls, fried chicken and pork ribs to go along with the seaweed soup and side dishes. For dessert, he managed to produce a plate of fruits topped with ice cream, from which the three of us ate directly off.

“Wow…” Sierra gushed. “I can’t move.”

“I’ll have to roll you home then?” I joked, and she punched me lightly on the arm.

“I expect to be carried,” she said.

“I think we’ll need to borrow the neighbor’s truck,” Jae Joong joked.

“Ya…” Sierra exclaimed.

“I think a wheelbarrow is enough,” I said, and that earned me another thump on my arm.

After all that joy and laughter, I knew there had to be an anti-climax for the day. In the midst of our cheerful atmosphere, my mother stumbled into the apartment, drunk, as usual.

“Jae Wook-ah…” she called out as she practically crawled up the step to the living area.

“Oma…” Jae Joong exclaimed in exasperation and went over to help her up.

“Ah… it’s my other son. My other Jae…” she giggled.

“Oma… this is my school mate, Sierra,” I introduced quickly and stood up to help Jae Joong bring her to her room.

“You brought a girl home?” she said, stopping midway towards the room to turn around and eye Sierra.

“Omoni,” Sierra sat up, and gave a little bow while on her knees.

“Hmm…” she laughed. “My son sure knows how to pick ‘em.”

“Let’s put you to bed,” I said.

“Aniya… aniya… nan kwaench’ana. Go sit with your girl,” she said as she tried to brush me off.

“I’ll take care of her,” Jae Joong said.

I sighed and nodded, then closed the room door as soon as Jae Joong and my mother went in.

“Your mother seems nice,” Sierra said.

The whole atmosphere was awkward now. There was a pink elephant in the room, i.e. my mother, and I wasn’t inclined to elaborate.

“She’s having one of her better days,” I smiled grimly.

“Maybe you should help Jae Joong,” she suggested.

“He can handle her,” I said. “He usually does since I work most nights.”

“Did I stop you from working tonight?” she asked me.

“Ani… I just moved here, so I’m still looking for a job,” I said.

“Oh…”

“I know that ‘Oh…’. You don’t have to help me get a job. I’ll find one. Don’t worry,” I said.

“I just…” she said, and bit her lip.

“Don’t call in favors for me, alright?” I said as I reached over to take her hand in mine.

“Araso,” she smiled.

We had another brief moment of silence and I could hear my mother speaking to Jae Joong in her drunken gibberish. It’s been a long time since I felt like this. I thought I’d gotten used to her being like this, but tonight I actually resented her for being like this.

“I should send you home,” I said, as I started to stand up.

“No… it’s alright. I’ll just get my driver to pick me up,” she said.

“I can send you home,” I said.

“Jae Wook,” she said, this time in a firm tone, and I looked at her. “I’ll get home on my own,” she said, and then she leaned over to kiss me softly on the cheek.

“Okay,” I said, touching my cheek and smiling as she pulled away.

She picked up her phone and while she called her driver, I busied myself by cleaning up the dishes.

“He’s here,” she said, moments later.

“Araso,” I said, and dried my hands and joined her at the door to walk her out.

Music: M - Sweet Sound

“Good night,” she said, turning to face me at the entrance of my building.

“Good night,” I said, and leaned down to kiss her lightly on the cheek.

“Is that all, Mr. Kim?” she smiled.

“Your driver,” I reminded her.

“Ah yes…” she laughed. “See you tomorrow,” she waved and walked towards her car.

“See ya,” I said, and I stood there to watch her car pull away.

I turned around to walk in as soon as her car was out of sight, and I felt a hand tap me on my shoulder. I turned around, and there was a punk-haired guy in a suit whom I’ve never met.

Music: The TRAX - Paradox

“My boss wants to speak to you,” he said.

“Who’s your boss?” I asked him.

“You’ll know when you see him,” he said, and motioned towards a black car waiting at the corner of the street.

No comments: