Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chapter 8: Oh, brothers...

[Sierra’s POV]

I’d just sat down on the couch in my room when I heard a knock on my door.

“Sierra…” Sang Hoon oppa called out.

“Come in,” I said. “I didn’t lock the door.”

He opened the door, walked in, and closed it softly.

“Is Yong Min home?” he asked me.

“He’s in the study,” I said.

“Workaholic,” he said, and shook his head. “Well… well… where have we been today?”

“Huh?”

“You went somewhere with your new boyfriend?” he teased.

“He’s not my new boyfriend,” I said as I pretended to pick the lint off my skirt.

“No? Are you sure? Then who else went out with the 2 of you.”

“It was just the 2 of us,” I said.

“And did you know that bike wasn’t his?” he asked me.

“I know. He said he borrowed it from his friend.”

“And his friend borrowed it from my friend. I’m not even sure if he actually borrowed of just took it.”

“What are you saying?”

“The bike belonged to Dong Wook, you remember? My friend, Lee Dong Wook?”

“Ah… ara… his brother’s in my class. Lee Dong Hae,” I said.

“Dong Wook’s known to be super possessive with his bikes. If he found out his brother had lent it to a friend, god knows… he could erupt like a volcano.”

“Jae Wook knew how to drive it. Nothing happened to it.”

“I should hope so, for Dong Hae’s sake. Dong Wook probably keeps count of the number of scratches on the bike’s body. He finds one extra, he’s gonna get to the bottom of it.”

“Araso…” I laughed. “Keundae… I didn’t know Dong Hae was such good friend with Jae Wook. Jae Wook’s only been in school for barely a week.”

“That kid… he’s always up to something; working on a project.”

“Are you saying that his new project is helping Jae Wook get me?”

“Maybe… just be careful, baby sister. I don’t wanna see you hurt,” he said as he reached out to ruffle my hair.

“Araso… don’t mess with my hair…” I complained.

“I’m going to bed,” he said as he got up. “You get to bed too. It’s late. What would aboji say if he knew you were up so late on a school night?” he winked.

“Don’t you dare tell him!” I said.

“You could always buy my silence,” he grinned.

“No…”

“Yes…”

“I am not going to make you breakfast…” I said as I shook my head vigorously.

“Yes, you are” he smiled. “And I want mine with an egg, sunny side up.”

“You’re evil,” I pouted.

“And you’re so adorable,” he said as he pinched my cheeks.

“Aaahh… appuh!” I whined as I rubbed my cheeks.

“Good night…” he sang and left my room.

That’s my brother, Sang Hoon. He’s older than Yong Min oppa, but if you judged from appearance, he looked more like the younger brother. He was tall and slim, just like me and Yong Min oppa, the only thing that set him apart from us was his appearance. He’d always been a rebel. We believe it’s some kind of inferiority complex.

It could be that he’s been pressured from childhood; told that he would someday have to takeover my father’s business. From the moment he realized what great things he was destined for, he started to rebel. He mixed with the wrong crowd, got piercings, smoked, and totally wrecked his rich heir image. It took a near death experience to bring him back to us. 5 years ago, Sang Hoon oppa was almost killed while street racing. His bike had collided with someone else’s and they were dragged by their bikes for about 20 feet. It was a miracle that he only got some cuts and bruises. I guess it was because he had on proper racing attire. The other fella wasn’t so lucky; he died.

After the accident, oppa had a long talk with my father. They agreed that instead of him inheriting my father’s position, Yong Min oppa would inherit it instead. Yong Min oppa had always been interested in the family business, and he’d always been the more grounded of my 2 brothers. Sang Hoon oppa went back to school, and instead of taking on a high pressure position like Yong Min oppa’s when he graduated, he was contented with being in second place. He had changed so much in the past 5 years, but he still liked to look the rebel, hence the hair coloring, and keeping his multiple piercings.

Yong Min oppa… sometimes he’s like a 2nd father to me. My father traveled most of the time during my childhood, and when Yong Min oppa was still in school, he would spend most of his spare time with me. He’d help me with my homework when he came home from school. He’d play with me, even if it were Barbie dolls I was playing with. Most of all, he was the one who put me to bed each night.

I remember, once, my father asked him why he didn’t just get me a tutor.

“I like teaching Sierra,” he said. “It helps me learn too, and I think she needs someone to spend time with.”

“You’re wasting time,” my father said. “I could use your help at the company, and you need to start training soon.”

“I’ll pickup really quick, aboji,” he said. “But my tongsaeng will not remain a little girl forever. She needs family the most at this age, and since no one else has time for her, I will make time,” he said.

I remembered my father getting all huffy and scolding Yong Min oppa, and he just nodded, but stood his ground. Till this day, Yong Min oppa has always been my mentor. No matter how busy he is and how often he has to travel, when he came home, he’d ask about my school work, and put me to bed.

It was 11pm. I showered quickly and put on my pajamas. Just as I slipped under my covers, Yong Min oppa knocked on my door.

“Come in,” I said.

“Ha! Gotcha!” he smiled. “Why did you shower so late?”

“I just got home awhile ago…” I said.

“Date?” he asked and raised an eyebrow.

“Erm…” I said.

“Sang Hoon told me,” he said.

“Tattle-tale…” I sighed.

“Sometimes, I feel like I’m the older one, and you both are my tongsaeng.”

“Well… stop acting like an old man then,” I smiled.

“So what did you do today,” he asked as he came to sit beside on my bed; both of us with our backs against the headboard.

“I went to school,” I said innocently.

“And…?” he prompted.

“Someone took me out on a picnic,” I continued.

“And…?”

“He sent me home,” I said.

“That’s all?” he asked me.

“Well… there was some bubbly and fireworks during the picnic,” I added.

“You were drinking?” he asked, in that tone that meant that I was in trouble if I was.

“It was apple cider,” I said.

“Good. I’d hate to have to find that boy and teach him a lesson.”

“Now you sound like Han Kyung,” I said.

“Han Kyung?”

“Remember… that boy I dated a few years back?” I sighed.

“Oh… I remember him; that freaky kid.”

“Right… that freaky kid…” I said.

“Does he still bother you?” he asked as he put an arm around me.

“Occasionally, but it’s just harmless teasing,” I said.

“If it happens too often, it may get out of hand. You need to tell me if he keeps bothering you. Araso?”

“Ne,” I smiled.

“It’s late,” he said as he got up. “I need to finish up my work, and you need to go to sleep. G’nite.”

“G’nite, oppa,” I said.

I lay on my pillow and oppa pulled the covers over my shoulders.

“Sweet dreams,” he said and kissed me lightly on my head.

“Oppa,” I called out to him as he stood in the light of the corridor after he’d turned off the lights in my room.

“Ne?”

“I’m making Sang Hoon oppa breakfast tomorrow. Do you want breakfast?”

“Of course,” he laughed. “It isn’t every day Princess Sierra wakes up early to make us breakfast.”

“Miweo…” I yawned and he closed the door, still laughing.

I lay in the darkness, thinking, after oppa had left. I wonder what will Han Kyung do when he finds out that Jae Wook and I have become an item?

1 comment:

Dani said...

*hugs from last comment*

I still read your fics because I am a faithful reader :D